Saturday, April 13, 2013

Makers Part 5



                                           
Today's maker is an Australian post grad architect student at UNSW in Sydney. In her spare time, Natalie Rosin translates her eye for form into ceramic jewellery and sells through her etsy shop called TaupeKlein.

Can you tell me a little about your background? 
I live in Sydney, Australia. Currently I am studying a Masters of Architecture. During my undergraduate studies I enrolled in a ceramics course at the College of Fine Arts followed by other casual classes at local community ceramics studios. 

What do you make?
I began creating wheel thrown and slab ceramic homewares such as mugs and bowls but soon branched into ceramic jewellery design.


What attracted you to this particular medium? How did you get started?
I am passionate about architecture but was looking for something more tangible in terms of design during my studies; sometimes one can spend months on an architectural scheme and have only digital drawings and renders to show for it. I enjoy using my hands and appreciate the experimental aspect of clay and ceramics. The medium has really tested my patience and allowed me to let go and remove the sense of control and precision you would expect from other art mediums. 


                                         

How long have you been making?
I have been making ceramic pieces for just over a year and plan to develop my practice throughout my life. 


How does your practice fit in with your everyday life? Do you have your own studio space and when do you work and where?
My current studio space is the studio at UNSW, Kensington. It is a fantastic shared space open to both the public and students. My schedule can vary; sometimes I will be in there three full days a week and other times just a couple hours a week. 

What are the best and worst aspects about working with this medium? 
The best aspect about working with clay are its forgiving qualities. Since there are so many stages during the creating process, there are numerous opportunities to alter a form or smooth a surface. However, these multiple stages can also be frustrating and patience is very key when working with clay. Since the making process can in some cases involve waiting for weeks for one piece, at times you want to rush ahead and skip all the stages to arrive at the final product. I have learnt to overcome this by working consistently on separate projects to allow for a more constant flow of production and avoid those tedious waiting stretches. 


Who or what inspires you?
I am definitely inspired by my background in architecture. Many of my pieces follow this geometric, defined form. I am also focused on texture and tactility found both in nature and man made materials. My wood texture pieces are an example of this whereby I created a lino cut of a magnified wood texture and then pressed a clay slab into this carving, much like the steps involved in certain print making techniques. The result is a rich surface both visual and tactile. 


Do you get creative blocks? If so, how do you deal with it?
Sure, I get creative blocks. I end up just making something completely unplanned, spontaneous and intuitive. The result in either surprising, mundane, beautiful or some combination. It is definitely not the end of the world, especially having noticed that sometimes the pieces I don't particularly appreciate others seem to prefer.


What other mediums would you love to explore? 
I would love to branch off into mosaics and integrate that knowledge into my architectural practice. I really appreciate the buildings of Gaudi, a Spanish architect who explored these processes and created the most beautiful spaces I have visited to date.




Thank you Natalie! Are you a maker or an artist? - I would love to feature you - particularly if you make something that is unusual - its painless and gives your work exposure - it is so inspirational to hear about other creatives, as everyone's story is interesting. Contact me today.

























No comments:

Post a Comment