Saturday, April 6, 2013

Makers Part 4

My next maker in this series is visual artist Kylie Fogarty, who lives in Canberra, Australia.  Kylie is a country girl at heart and draws inspiration from her environment. As well as selling her work directly on etsy and her web site Kylie also exhibits regularly.



Can you tell me a little about your background? 
My name is Kylie Fogarty, I am a full time, visual artist enjoying my art practice in Canberra, A.C.T.
Art has always been a part of my life, drawing from the time I could hold a pencil, which has been the basis for my art practice in all avenues. I enjoy participating in as many art workshops as I am able to attend as this really works within my time frames. I have had the pleasure of attending many workshops such as Portraiture and Life Drawing workshops with Archibald Finalist Sue Taylor. I grew up in Regional Australia, being inspired by my surrounding landscape and all within it, which remains my inspiration today.



                                 
What do you make?
My art practice includes a large spectrum of 2D Visual Artworks, ranging from line drawings in pen, intricate drawings in graphite, to landscape, botanical and portraiture paintings along with abstract mixed media works. 
I enjoy being versatile with my work, often clients have a particular interest in one genre and its nice being able to offer a range for clients to choose from. I love the range of mediums available to artists today and enjoy spending time in my practice using the various mediums in their traditional methods as well as testing their boundaries. 
Often when experimenting in the combination of mediums you find the most unexpected results, which then takes my artworks to a new horizon, I love it. Recently I have started to offer Reproduction prints and Archival Giclee Prints of my works as well as cards for all occasions. The past year has brought a new fascination with miniatures, specifically ACEOS – (Artist Cards, Editions and Originals ) which are tiny works that must be 2.5 x 3.5”. 



What attracted you to this particular medium? How did you get started?
My fascination for Miniatures is that I often hear from clients that they do not have a huge space to fill or a large budget to allow them the ability to purchase large scale art. These Miniatures are a great way to start investing in Original Artworks, they have a great following and are highly collectible. 

Although I do create larger scale works as well, it’s the miniatures that I find myself grabbing when I have a spare half hour to continue on the artwork that has already been started. One could say that I have trouble focusing on one particular art medium or materials, however, I like to be able to use various types for differing genres.

I really enjoy the process and relationship of the medium to the artwork that is being created, particularly in my more abstract paintings, having the time to allow the medium to evolve is a large part of my artistic process. I also create a lot of line art and archival pen drawings which I enjoy immensely as it is an easy art form to set up, you only need to take out a pen and an art pad, you can find me drawing in at any given moment when I have five minutes spare.

How long have you been making?
I have been creating my entire life; however, I have been more prolific since moving to Canberra in 2008.

How does your practice fit in with your everyday life? Do you have your own studio space and when do you work and where?
My practice fits around my very hectic family life, which is a juggle at times but I wouldn’t have it any other way. On days where the inspiration takes over I paint well into the night in my small but friendly studio here in Canberra.
My work has been exhibited in Art Galleries throughout Australia, is held in the shop section of the Strathnairn Arts Gallery and I have an online shop (www.KylieFogartyFineArt.etsy.com) alongside my website (www.kyliefogarty.com) to enable clients to purchase online without needing to be in Canberra. 


What are the best and worst aspects about working with this medium? 
The best aspect of working in so many mediums is the variety of choice, the worst aspect is that this choice can be problematic when choosing which medium to use, although that isn’t always the case.

Who or what inspires you?
I get inspired from all aspects of everyday life, be it a colour in an object, something in the landscape or even a memory or experience, moment or inspirational person. Capturing a moment in time is a delight for me, which is an aspect of portraiture I really enjoy, often these candid moments are the ones that grab my artistic attention the most.

Do you get creative blocks? If so, how do you deal with it?
I do get creative blocks, and it’s at these times that I return to drawing the most, as it is the basis for all of my artworks and I love to allow the lines to flow and see what evolves from them.  In these times I get very frustrated so it’s my drawing that relaxes me and this generally gives my mind the space to contemplate what subject matter I would like to focus on next.

                                                  

What other mediums would you love to explore? 
I have been attending some workshops with local Printmaker Jo Hollier (www.johollier.com) learning how to do etching and intaglio prints. This has been so interesting and I am hoping to continue with more workshops in the near future. I really enjoyed copperplate etching and have recently purchased some Gelliplates to experiment with in my studio – it’s a real bonus to not to have to have a personal press to be able to use these plates.


                                         


What do you hope to do next with your practice?
I am currently preparing and creating for my upcoming joint exhibition with Photographer, Cindy Wilkins from Worldscape Imagery in July, Canberra at the Strathnairn Homestead Gallery, called “Two Views” – which will be an interpretation of Australian Landscape, Flora and Fauna.

Thank you Kylie! Are you a maker or an artist? - I would love to feature you - particularly if you make something that is unusual - its painless and gives your work exposure - it is so inspirational to hear about other creatives, as everyone's story is interesting. Contact me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment