Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Makers Part 8



In the flow of creativity, most artists experience the feeling that their medium and their ideas take on a life of their own and lead the artist to unexpected places. My next maker, Ryan Darwin revels in this process and the fruits of his creative journeys results in a diverse universe of characters and these can be found in his etsy shop called Ghostpenny






Can you tell me a little about your background? 
I come from Victoria BC on beautiful Vancouver Island. (West Coast of Canada). My family was always supportive of my artistic pursuits even back to my earliest memories. I think it all started with my Grandparents old Birks box full of markers and other art tools. After a few laps around the world I ended up in Montreal with my wife Sabina and my Taiwanese dog Mayble.
                               
What do you make?
Figurative sculpture that moves without movement.


What attracted you to this particular medium? How did you get started?
Sculpture has been part of my life for a long time. Originally I was into illustration, painting and photography. My college supply store had a sale on fimo and I bought a few pieces to try out. I instantly fell in love with sculpture and never looked back.



How long have you been making?
I have been working on sculpture for about ten years.


                                                                        



How does your practice fit in with your everyday life? Do you have your own studio space and when do you work and where?
My studio is nestled into the Plateau neighbourhood of Montreal. I share it with my wife and we spend 90% of our time there. We work together as a writer/director/producer team as well as keeping up on our personal art works. She has a fine art line called Mount Royal Mint on Etsy. I guess you could say we live in our studio. 


                     

What are the best and worst aspects about working with this medium?
For years I would do large scale sculpture and creature building. The time it takes for one mixed medium sculpture to come to life can be excruciatingly long. The cool thing about working with one main medium is the ability to create without the huge burden of laws and rules of SPFX materials. I make a wire frame and sculpt. Instant and very enjoyable.



Who or what inspires you?
I would have to say my wife Sabina inspires me everyday. Her work is my favourite when it comes to other artists. Mayble definitely keeps me motivated and smiling with her fuzzy face.





Do you get creative blocks? If so, how do you deal with it?
Rarely do i feel blocked anymore. I open the box and end up with a bunch of new work. Sometimes I feel like I am on auto pilot.




What other mediums would you love to explore? I love to draw but rarely have the time anymore so i would have to say I would love to do a series of illustrations for a book or magazine again. Illustration is really fun and challenging for me.


     

What do you hope to do next with your practice?
Eventually I will write a animated film starring my characters and release a line of toys to collect. 


Thank you Ryan! and thank you everyone who have participated in this series - what a talented bunch you are! If you have a hankering to be interviewed - you know where I am!

1 comment: